Fun Facts about Saving Energy
• A heavy coat of dust on a light bulb can block up to half of the light.
• A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75 percent less energy than a regular bulb and it can last up to four years.
• A hot water faucet that leaks one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month. That's more than one person uses in two weeks.
• True or False? Running a screen saver on your computer saves energy. Click here for the answer.
• An energy-smart clothes washer can save more water in one year than one person drinks in an entire lifetime!
• True or false? To use less hot water, wash dishes by hand. False! An automatic dishwasher uses about six gallons less of hot water than washing by hand. Over a year that adds up to 2,000 gallons!
• A crack as small as 1/16th of an inch around a window frame can let in as much cold air as leaving the window open three inches!
• Every time you open the refrigerator door, up to 30 percent of the cold air can escape.
• Every year, more than $13 billion worth of energy leaks from houses through small holes and cracks. That’s more than $150 per family!
• Do you know what is the biggest energy hog in your home? Click here for the answer.
If you like riddles, click here to enjoy several energy brain teasers!